Offline FD

• Juiced up Lenny Dykstra
  • Administrator
  • Junior
  • I can't promise anything. But yes, I guarantee it
  • Twitter: @malleable_turd
Re: Tribute to Burl Ives
Reply #50 → 10:39 PM - Dec 11, 2012
I think you should've gone with 'Ayyyy gurl, I like your movies,' but that's just me.

That both have a certain flair, but lack subtlety.
if u were not my friend, I would jump in my truck and hunt your ass down.

Offline Klaus Daimler Esq.

• Sophomore
  • Golf Outing 2014 or Bust
Reply #51 → 10:41 PM - Dec 11, 2012
That both have a certain flair, but lack subtlety.

I probably should have continued with a question about Tenpenny, because, you know, recruiting.
Pearl White, tan interior. Fully loaded. 200k miles. Still like new. $6500

Offline FD

• Administrator
  • Junior
Reply #52 → 10:44 PM - Dec 11, 2012
I probably should have continued with a question about Tenpenny, because, you know, recruiting.

Side bar:  How does one go about getting into the "industry?"  Do you start by busting tables and Burt Reynolds stumbles upon you? Or do you send out highlight tapes?

Offline thebignasty

• Recruit
  • Abe, baby.
Reply #53 → 10:45 PM - Dec 11, 2012
Tenpenny is following Horton to Appalachian St.

Offline thebignasty

• Recruit
  • Abe, baby.
Reply #54 → 10:45 PM - Dec 11, 2012
Side bar:  How does one go about getting into the "industry?"  Do you start by busting tables and Burt Reynolds stumbles upon you? Or do you send out highlight tapes?
http://backroomcastingcouch.com/ ?

Offline FD

• Administrator
  • Junior
Reply #55 → 10:49 PM - Dec 11, 2012

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
  • Twitter: @pondwaterjack
Moderation......fairnes.....lieniecy......Blasingame....
the peoples moderator.And South Dakota Jackrabbit Entusiast!!!!

Duckman

Reply #57 → 01:38 AM - Dec 12, 2012
Shari uploaded a Christmas song a couple of days ago...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4cWIt2Xlw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4cWIt2Xlw</a>

Offline The Great Hogsby

• Sophomore
  • Follow me on Twitter, or else...
  • Twitter: @TheGreatHogsby
Reply #58 → 09:08 AM - Dec 12, 2012
So...Little Jimmy Dickens is Charles Dickens son and an old friend to Burl Ives?

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #59 → 11:01 AM - Dec 12, 2012
Shari uploaded a Christmas song a couple of days ago...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4cWIt2Xlw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4cWIt2Xlw</a>
nice work...woman has the pipes

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #60 → 11:15 AM - Dec 12, 2012
So...Little Jimmy Dickens is Charles Dickens son and an old friend to Burl Ives?
yes...little Jimmie Dickens old man. ...Charles "Chuck" Dickens is a friend of Burl Ives and an even better friend of his daddy Robert "Bobs" (aka "Poison" ) Ives.  Bobs made a living as a piano player in a whorehouse in Eastern Oklahoma for years   Wanted a better life for his boy.  As the story goes...Bobs took Tiny Burl to work with him a couole of times and Burl started belting out one Christmas favorite after another...made some of the Johns feel guilty something awful...a few of them started to reflect on what they were doing at a whorehouse to begin with....and they started to just sit and listen to little Burl sing.... "Silent Night.....Do you hear what I hear"  pretty soon they just sobbered up an left...  Bobs came to his senses and said... "Burl! i gotta get you outta thus horehouse!"  what happened next is common knowledge and everone knows how it went after that

one of my ALLTIME FAVORITE holiday stories.  my Maw used to tell it ever year....How lil Burl Ives closed down the whorehouse." 

Merry Christmas.  spend it with family... not in a brothel.

Jack Blasingame

Offline The Great Hogsby

• Sophomore
  • Follow me on Twitter, or else...
  • Twitter: @TheGreatHogsby
Reply #61 → 12:07 PM - Dec 12, 2012
Sounds like a tear jerker. Maybe they'll make a movie about it soon so they can begin playing it in a 24 hour marathon on TBS.

yes...little Jimmie Dickens old man. ...Charles "Chuck" Dickens is a friend of Burl Ives and an even better friend of his daddy Robert "Bobs" (aka "Poison" ) Ives.  Bobs made a living as a piano player in a whorehouse in Eastern Oklahoma for years   Wanted a better life for his boy.  As the story goes...Bobs took Tiny Burl to work with him a couole of times and Burl started belting out one Christmas favorite after another...made some of the Johns feel guilty something awful...a few of them started to reflect on what they were doing at a whorehouse to begin with....and they started to just sit and listen to little Burl sing.... "Silent Night.....Do you hear what I hear"  pretty soon they just sobbered up an left...  Bobs came to his senses and said... "Burl! i gotta get you outta thus horehouse!"  what happened next is common knowledge and everone knows how it went after that

one of my ALLTIME FAVORITE holiday stories.  my Maw used to tell it ever year....How lil Burl Ives closed down the whorehouse." 

Jack Blasingame

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #62 → 12:17 PM - Dec 12, 2012
well...there in lies the problem!  with Burl not actualy dead....but in hiding  (they say he can be found at a Tiki bar in Key West. ....like clockwork...ever thursday night....i gues he lives there)  no one is certain who has the rights to a show like that.  i dont know how they make somthing like that without his mark. 

i just know that from the time i was 3 or so on...i dearly loved hearing that story during the holidays....

j holly

Offline Bruiser

• Tough Guy
  • Recruit
  • Basket full of catfish off the boatdock
Reply #63 → 02:50 PM - Dec 12, 2012

Jack Blasingame

Just when I think you don't have a lick of sense you tell a story with a moral that really should hit home with the whoremongers in this place, of which there seems to be a few.

That's the type story that will make eyes all aglow on Christmas.  That one will be told by me before I carve the Christmas ham.

Thank you jack blasingame.
Congrats to Gizmo

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #64 → 10:56 AM - Dec 13, 2012
now my worst Christmss memory is easy. 

about a year an a half before i started writin on these boareds the weather turned cold and thoughts turned to the holidays...which for my family on both sides means...ham and trimmings....football....gambling....Blue Man Group (the young ones. not me).....presents.....cigars....stories.....and time together.

Well as luck had it the Blue Man Group was playing nearby abd Liesha got tickets for all of us for Christmas...."familyactivity" ...well she didnt know that earlier that month i had to set up to meet with the Eye man to get something tsken out of my Left eye on the vary damn day we were scheduled for the Blue Man Group! 

By the time we got out of the doctor and to the liquor store (me and Carl had planned to arrive at the concert drunk and stay that way) and then got to the show there was a helluva line.  They say that the Blue Man Group is very exciting.  well we started making the line and waiting and i had to wear a patch over my left eye from earlier and i was slready drunk and a little opinionated when the little boy from the family behind me said that i looked like a pirate.  then he asked me if i was and it struck me wrong. 

Now he was standing to my left so i turned my head around to see him and his momma holding her year old calf in her arms.  so i (I admit this was an overreactin so dont bother) ...I took a long draw iff my cigar  and pursed my lips blew a cloud of smoke around that kid and said "what of it?"

That is when she (the momma) got lippy.  well she started cluckin and scratching and raising hell about that i better not blow smoke on her son anymore. Carl was laughing at me getting my ass chewed on in front off all those people...i didnt want to be there anway! 

For years i have practiced being able to blow a smoke ring.  i have never gotten it right.

she kept squwkin and i took a long hard look around and then a long hard pull and thought..."im gonna see if i can ring that baby....wont smoke him!  ....just frame him with a smoke ring.....to make a point to her."

i blew a perfect tight ring.  textbook.  as it approached the baby it  grew like a lasso and those watcging the exchange got totally silent.  even the mom of that baby stood there....buffaloed....the perfect ring....reached out and framed that baby.  slow motion.  total silence.

then her brother...this kids uncle who evidently played foitball at uca or tech...who had walked up...to my blind spot...and me a 50 something old man with a patch over 1 eye and a cigar in 1 hand......CRACK!    Inever saw it coming.  dislocated jaw.  missed the show.  Carl made it backstage.

i got a bill from the er for a didlocated jaw.

worst Christmas ever.

J holly Blasingame

Offline Ponder

• Master of the Ponder.
  • Sophomore
  • GO HOGS!
Reply #65 → 11:07 AM - Dec 13, 2012
I sure hope that cigar wasn't damaged, Jack.

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #66 → 11:16 AM - Dec 13, 2012
the truth is i dont know what happened to the cigar.  i woke up in the back of a plymouth fury (carls car at the time) i had headaches for about 3 months later and a hairline fracture.

but if you could have seen the looks of everone watching....that was the story....the real focus of the story

She had that baby riding high on her right hip.  i couldnt be sure but once the ring was yhere floatin toward that kid.....all i can say is.....it was REALLY LIKE time stopped.  do i think she wanted me to smoke ring that baby to make my point?!  No.  no.no.no.  i dont have ANY misconceptions about that but once it started i think she stoid still...perfectly still...because she too wanted to see if i could smoke ring that baby.  she hoped id fail!  but i didnt. 

now was that Christmas magic?!  I honestly doubt it.  But ill let each of you decide for yourselves if it was or wasnt. 

J holly Blasingame'II

Offline Ponder

• Master of the Ponder.
  • Sophomore
  • GO HOGS!
Reply #67 → 11:24 AM - Dec 13, 2012
Seems like I've seen a picture or a painting of this scene, Jack.

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #68 → 11:40 AM - Dec 13, 2012
i dont know...i dont know.  to me itwas....that whole this is like....that art where things move and with live people.

if i could have a picture of the PERFECT OVAL RING framing that baby....his haunting blank stare as the tracked the ring....the skepticism and disbelief on her face that....thinkin that this old man with the patch....NO WAY he pulks this off...NO WAY! ........but i did.

i guess if i could have those three or four pics in sequence to tell the tale

her squawkin at me would be scene 1
the secon pic would be me pulling off thst cigar

pic number three. ...yhe centerpiece...the loik of fascination and bewilderment on the face of that little bastard as that ring touched his shoulder and disintegrated....and the looks of the people in the background...doubting thomases....waiting on Blue Man Group....ALL proven fools by the old man with the patch...

pic 4 would be the look on that mommas face when she saw that i didnt just take the shot....i connected...at the buzzer

i think those four pics would be a TRUE TO LIFE work of art.

do i want that because i want noteriety and fame?! no. ponder i am at a differebt time in my life now. 

FAME?!  hmmph!  that is a young mans game.  i just want to be a part of something bigger than me.  make a change in society.

If me ringing that baby that cold afternoon....waitin on the Blue Man Group cand do that?!  Sign me up.

Jack Blasingame, II

Offline Bruiser

• Tough Guy
  • Recruit
  • Basket full of catfish off the boatdock
Reply #69 → 11:50 AM - Dec 13, 2012

Jack, the best I can tell, the moral of this story is that you will do anything to please the family, even go to blue man group?  I for one believe that Christmas is a time for kids, and when I read your story and cut through the smoke rings and the fight and the baby (which takes away from your moral - just trying to help, not trying to tell you how to tell a story but you did get off track), this really shows the kind of man that I think you are. 

So how was the concert? I've never seen blue man group but I'd like to.  Did they sing Christmas songs?  Where did you see them? Las Vegas? Mud Island? Or some other exotic venue?

Do you have their schedule for this Christmas? Wouldn't mind taking my nephews and nieces to see them.
Congrats to Gizmo

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #70 → 12:02 PM - Dec 13, 2012
no youre right.  none of this for me PERSONALLY was about the baby. 

to me it ws about a man....summoning everything he had for one flash.

have you EVER read about people lifting cars or tremendous feats of strength?!

well it wasnt strength this time for me. ..it was focus.  Precision focus.

I knew once i decided to smoke ring that baby...i am ONLY GETTING 1 SHOT.

I nailed it.  Probly 28-30 people watching. 

i never made it inside.  straight to the ER.  hairline fracture of the mandible.

i never saw Blue Man Group.  Carl is "now" a fan for life.  He went backstage.   and even traveled to see them in Winnepeg and stayed on the tourbus with them.  he gets a Christmas card from them about every other year. 

He wont talk about theur identity.  top secret.  but he says youd be surprised to see them without make up on.  one of the members is fairly well known.  i suspect it is former Foxnews anchor Glenn Beck but i dont know and he wont say. 

Anyhow.  enough about me.  someone else share a Holiday tradition.

j holly

Offline Ponder

• Master of the Ponder.
  • Sophomore
  • GO HOGS!
Reply #71 → 12:10 PM - Dec 13, 2012
We usually slaughter a lamb in the front yard on Christmas morning, when all the neighborhood kids come out to play with their new Christmas gifts.  I hear tell that the 911 operator's phone lights up like a Christmas tree.

Offline pondwater jack

• VERY IMPORTANT PERSON
  • Hogfans Supastar
  • 5'7"; 137lbs.; 5.9
Reply #72 → 12:21 PM - Dec 13, 2012
wow!  How does that play with the neighbors?  my guess is that youd have 50 percent that would remain indifferent...45 percent curious...and a small but vocal lunatic fringe 5 percent

sound about right.

as for me and mine 45 percenters.  who wouldnt want to watch an evicerated lamb or baby goat stagger around in the blood stained snow on a cold morning...only to have everone pluck the flesh from his milk white bones like a bunch if scavaging buzzards and devouring it while enjoying some quality time

Offline snoblind

• Freshman
Reply #73 → 12:25 PM - Dec 13, 2012
All these wonderful Christmas memories have brought a tear to my eyes.  Heck, I even listened to about 10 seconds of a Burl Ives tune on youtube.
"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell

Offline Ponder

• Master of the Ponder.
  • Sophomore
  • GO HOGS!
Reply #74 → 12:25 PM - Dec 13, 2012
I just feel bad for the 911 operator having to work on Christmas.  They won't let her have a tree in the office - not politically correct or something.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7