Car Audio?

Pages: [1] 2 Read 1570 times

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Car Audio?
05:55 PM - Feb 25, 2017
any people into car audio here? 

Over the last year I upgrade my stock audio system with an aftermarket deck and 4 6x9s.

now that I have a basic set up I'm think about installing a sub.  I don't want to overpower my sound so its nothing but base, but I do what it to hit.

anyone have any pointers on what I should be shooting for to have plenty of sub without over doing it?
Grab yourself a can of pork soda
You'll be feeling just fine
Ain't nothin' quite like sittin' 'round the house
Swillin' down them Cans of swine

Offline NWAHOGS

• Global Moderator
  • Hogfans Supastar
Re: Car Audio?
Reply #1 → 06:09 PM - Feb 25, 2017
any people into car audio here? 

Over the last year I upgrade my stock audio system with an aftermarket deck and 4 6x9s.

now that I have a basic set up I'm think about installing a sub.  I don't want to overpower my sound so its nothing but base, but I do what it to hit.

anyone have any pointers on what I should be shooting for to have plenty of sub without over doing it?

1 or 2 kicker 10" with a decent amp

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #2 → 06:19 PM - Feb 25, 2017
I was looking at a type S or Type R Alpine Sub a similar price.  the type s is 500 rms and the type r is 1000 RMS, but I'm probably only going to be able to afford a 500 rms amp. 

is it a big deal if the amp can only push half of what the speaker calls for?

also, my brother seems to go through walmart sub boxes every 6 months.  is it worth trying to find someone to build a custom box?  shipping to hawaii isnt cheap so I don't think I want to order a box over the internet unless its a permanent solution.

my 100w rms 10" sub for my ps4 is enough to shake the house and piss off the down stairs neighbors, so I can't imagine needing 1000w rms. 

Also, at what point is it a good idea to get a capacitor?  is it good for any sized systems or only for the bigger ones?
« Last Edit: 06:24 PM - Feb 25, 2017 by PorkSoda »

Offline Arky

• Senior
  • GO HOGS!
Reply #3 → 06:39 PM - Feb 25, 2017
diy audio is a good forum
by panhandlepig
If you are scared of me then you are a p**** of the highest order. Get rid of that stupid emoticunt dead horse thing.. it is annoying and has lost any meaning it may have had originally.b

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #4 → 06:43 PM - Feb 25, 2017
cool, I'll check it out.  thanks

Offline Dopeman

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • fizzled like a wet blackcat firecracker!!!
Reply #5 → 09:43 AM - Feb 26, 2017
I was looking at a type S or Type R Alpine Sub a similar price.  the type s is 500 rms and the type r is 1000 RMS, but I'm probably only going to be able to afford a 500 rms amp. 

also, my brother seems to go through walmart sub boxes every 6 months.  is it worth trying to find someone to build a custom box?  shipping to hawaii isnt cheap so I don't think I want to order a box over the internet unless its a permanent solution.

my 100w rms 10" sub for my ps4 is enough to shake the house and piss off the down stairs neighbors, so I can't imagine needing 1000w rms. 

Also, at what point is it a good idea to get a capacitor?  is it good for any sized systems or only for the bigger ones?

If you dont max out the sub you will still get good bass. Max it out and you're gonna drown those 6x9's.
buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms......

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #6 → 04:44 PM - Feb 26, 2017
If you dont max out the sub you will still get good bass. Max it out and you're gonna drown those 6x9's.
right?  those poor 6x9's are driven  by 20 rms each off the deck lol.

I'm going to need a 4 way amp for those things too, but sub first.

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #7 → 08:55 PM - Feb 26, 2017
This forum sucks major ass.

I'm sure the content is fine, but the site is buggy as hell.

tried for two days to register to no avail.  no way to contact them for help.

their 'human verification' doesn't work, their email doesn't work, their instant messeging system doesn't work, their account verification doesnt work.

I finally gave up.

Offline Arky

• Senior
  • GO HOGS!
Reply #8 → 12:29 PM - Feb 27, 2017
sorry, it must have changed. I had a lot of audio sites saved on my old computer but didn't move them over to the new one.

I suppose i'm no help to ya.......lol
by panhandlepig
If you are scared of me then you are a p**** of the highest order. Get rid of that stupid emoticunt dead horse thing.. it is annoying and has lost any meaning it may have had originally.b

Offline Arky

• Senior
  • GO HOGS!
Reply #9 → 12:32 PM - Feb 27, 2017
AVS may have been 1 of them.......can't remember
by panhandlepig

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #10 → 02:23 PM - Feb 27, 2017
thanks, for trying,

I think what I'm going to do is look around town to see if there is anyone who makes or sells quality boxes. 

I think I will get more out of a quality box than spending more on a fancy amp.

there are some good articles out there on building your own,  but I've learned from experience that I'm not a carpenter (ie I cant build anything square to save my life)

Offline mckinneyhog5

• Recruit
Reply #11 → 03:56 PM - Feb 27, 2017
thanks, for trying,

I think what I'm going to do is look around town to see if there is anyone who makes or sells quality boxes. 

I think I will get more out of a quality box than spending more on a fancy amp.

there are some good articles out there on building your own,  but I've learned from experience that I'm not a carpenter (ie I cant build anything square to save my life)
I installed car stereo many moons ago and have built many custom boxes for customers and myself. What kind of car do you have?

Offline mckinneyhog5

• Recruit
Reply #12 → 06:16 PM - Feb 27, 2017
Also, what usually destroys subs are not enough clean power being delivered by amp. Good amps matain a very low distortion rating at high usage levels. Poorly made amps with high noise to distortion levels are what causes most subs to blow. When your speakers start sounding like crap you've reached the maximum safe limit of whatever is driving those speakers. If you added a cleaner source, you could turn those same speakers up past that point and not damage them but they would sound a lot better.

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #13 → 07:54 PM - Feb 27, 2017
Also, what usually destroys subs are not enough clean power being delivered by amp. Good amps matain a very low distortion rating at high usage levels. Poorly made amps with high noise to distortion levels are what causes most subs to blow. When your speakers start sounding like crap you've reached the maximum safe limit of whatever is driving those speakers. If you added a cleaner source, you could turn those same speakers up past that point and not damage them but they would sound a lot better.
yeah, I'm going alpine amp and sub.  they seem to have a good quality to price ratio.

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #14 → 07:56 PM - Feb 27, 2017
I installed car stereo many moons ago and have built many custom boxes for customers and myself. What kind of car do you have?
2005 camry.

the back of the trunk is only about 13" then opens up to about 19".  its kind of putting a damper on my plan to stuff a 15 in there.

I want to go with a ported box, probably facing the rear of the car.

« Last Edit: 07:58 PM - Feb 27, 2017 by PorkSoda »

Offline LSUFan

• Global Administrator
  • Freshman
  • Bastard Son of Aunt Rev Pearl Falwell
Reply #15 → 08:01 PM - Feb 28, 2017
They make 4ohm subs?

Need one of those and a decent amp, I'm a big fan of Alpine, it's never failed me.

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #16 → 05:18 PM - Mar 07, 2017
They make 4ohm subs?

Need one of those and a decent amp, I'm a big fan of Alpine, it's never failed me.
the alpines have dual voice coils so thier 4 ohm sub can be wired to 2 ohm or 8 ohm.  the 2 ohm subs can be wired to 4 or 1 ohm. most alpine amps can run 4 or 2 ohm, so its important to get the right combo

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #17 → 04:45 PM - Mar 08, 2017
so I can get something like this for about $180 off the internet including shipping

or something like this for $120 made in town ($45 on the internet)

« Last Edit: 04:46 PM - Mar 08, 2017 by PorkSoda »

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #18 → 06:36 PM - Mar 08, 2017
also any tips on poly fill, no poly fill, adding silicon caulking, wiring and accessories. 

I'm on a budget, but want to make sure I don't leave anything important out.

even though its my first build, I want to try do it right the first time.  at least reasonably well.
« Last Edit: 06:54 PM - Mar 08, 2017 by PorkSoda »

Offline Kriegschwein

• Freshman
Reply #19 → 05:33 PM - Mar 09, 2017
also any tips on poly fill, no poly fill, adding silicon caulking, wiring and accessories. 

I'm on a budget, but want to make sure I don't leave anything important out.

even though its my first build, I want to try do it right the first time.  at least reasonably well.

Don't use polyfill if you have a box that is the proper size for the speaker. Caulk with a drying silicone on the inside.

Offline hogcard1964

• Recruit
Reply #20 → 02:43 PM - Mar 20, 2017

Are you referring to the impedance of the speaker or the wattage being pushed?

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #21 → 03:23 PM - Mar 20, 2017
Are you referring to the impedance of the speaker or the wattage being pushed?
the amp is rated at 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms.

Alpine Type S Subwoofers are rated at 500 watts RMS for $100
Type R's are rated at 1000 RMS for $150.

was just trying to figure out if I should get the higher quality Type R, or if its a waste since I will only be pushing 500 max and more than likely I'll have it turned down to around 300 watts to not drown out my interior speakers that are only pushing about 20 watts rms each off the deck.

« Last Edit: 03:27 PM - Mar 20, 2017 by PorkSoda »

Offline hogcard1964

• Recruit
Reply #22 → 03:34 PM - Mar 20, 2017
the amp is rated at 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms.

Alpine Type S Subwoofers are rated at 500 watts RMS for $100
Type R's are rated at 1000 RMS for $150.

was just trying to figure out if I should get the higher quality Type R, or if its a waste since I will only be pushing 500 max and more than likely I'll have it turned down to around 300 watts to not drown out my interior speakers that are only pushing about 20 watts rms each off the deck.

Peak AC x .707 = RMS equivalent. Or RMS value x 1.414 = Peak AC.

I wouldn't if I were you.  Are you simply looking for something that is silly loud?

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #23 → 03:51 PM - Mar 20, 2017
Peak AC x .707 = RMS equivalent. Or RMS value x 1.414 = Peak AC.

I wouldn't if I were you.  Are you simply looking for something that is silly loud?
yeah, im not trying to go silly loud, but loud enough to make it worth it.  I'm not interested in peak wattage which tends to be what the speaker/amp can produce for 3 seconds before catching on fire.

I want clean sound.  that is why I'm probably going to go with a 500 watt RMS system turned down to 300 vs a 200 watt rms system turned up as loud as it can go.

The other aspect is that the louder you go the more things will rattle in your car.  I can't stand rattle crapping up my sound, so I'm sure I'm going to be combing over my car listening for any loose / rattling pieces.  I've heard that double stick foam tape is good for dampening the license plate, but if anyone has other tips or things to look for / try I'm open to suggestions.  Like I said earlier.  I'm new to this so there is bound to be some trial and error, but I want to have as little error as I can.  I'm already going to have to pull apart my doors again to check the wiring since  + and - weren't labeled so I had to guess.  later I found a diagram online so I'm going to have to go back in and look to see if I guessed right or not.

I figure that will be a good time to secure any rattle inside my doors.  its hard tracking down exactly what it is though.

« Last Edit: 03:59 PM - Mar 20, 2017 by PorkSoda »

Offline hogcard1964

• Recruit
Reply #24 → 07:47 AM - Mar 21, 2017
I'm not as well versed in car audio as I should be, but if you have any questions regarding home audio, I'm your guy.  I've played with it for 40+ years and actually dealt in it for a long time.

I also refurbish a lot of it myself now as a hobby.

Pages: [1] 2