05:06 PM - Nov 21, 2017
Frontier

Pages: [1] Read 522 times

Offline Porkrinds

• Sophomore
Frontier
09:11 PM - Jan 30, 2017
Anyone watching this Netflix show?  I'm a couple of episodes in and loving it so far. It's what I would describe as the westward expansion version of game of thrones. Fur traders all competing for power and being brutal about it. To me the opening intro is even a nod to GoT.  Plus Kal Drahgo is one of the main characters as well. It's worth a watch for sure!

Offline MichaelT

• Global Moderator
  • Freshman
Re: Frontier
Reply #1 → 08:39 AM - Apr 20, 2017
Anyone watching this Netflix show?  I'm a couple of episodes in and loving it so far. It's what I would describe as the westward expansion version of game of thrones. Fur traders all competing for power and being brutal about it. To me the opening intro is even a nod to GoT.  Plus Kal Drahgo is one of the main characters as well. It's worth a watch for sure!

Looking at the content guide I can tell it's something that we'll not be watching. I don't like to watch smut. GoT from what I have heard raised the bar on smut tv...guess Frontier might give it a run for its money.
« Last Edit: 12:05 PM - Apr 20, 2017 by MichaelT »

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #2 → 01:36 PM - Apr 24, 2017
Looking at the content guide I can tell it's something that we'll not be watching. I don't like to watch smut. GoT from what I have heard raised the bar on smut tv...guess Frontier might give it a run for its money.

lol, I watched the first season, and it was pretty tame for the most part.  It was a decent show but not enough to keep my interest to watch more seasons.
Grab yourself a can of pork soda
You'll be feeling just fine
Ain't nothin' quite like sittin' 'round the house
Swillin' down them Cans of swine

Offline Porkrinds

• Sophomore
Reply #3 → 09:17 PM - Apr 24, 2017

I wouldn't call it smut. Heck I don't even remember any nudity but I could be wrong.  If you're put off by language and violence it probably isn't for you.
« Last Edit: 09:50 PM - Apr 24, 2017 by Porkrinds »

Offline MichaelT

• Global Moderator
  • Freshman
Reply #4 → 08:58 AM - Apr 25, 2017
lol, I watched the first season, and it was pretty tame for the most part.  It was a decent show but not enough to keep my interest to watch more seasons.

I read the trailer information when it came across on Netflix...so went to IMDB.com and read some of the content advisories, and figured it wouldn't be something for us to watch.

To be honest it is getting increasingly difficult to find movies or shows to watch that we can be comfortable with. We're not much for a lot of gore and/or violence, and when the language gets foul I get a little uncomfortable, especially when they take God's name in vain over and over. It's just not appealing to me to listen to that, and it would place my witness in a difficult spot to our kids and grands (and the kids in our youth group and music ministry).

As far as the nudity, while it used to not matter to me one bit, it does these days.

It's just the premise of watching immorality willingly that I can't get past anymore, and it may not be just the nudity but the sexual explicitness as well.

As a follower of Jesus, I try and gauge what I watch/read/take in through the filter of being His disciple. If it is bothersome in that respect, I would rather refrain from it.
« Last Edit: 11:45 AM - Apr 25, 2017 by MichaelT »

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #5 → 01:09 PM - Apr 25, 2017
I read the trailer information when it came across on Netflix...so went to IMDB.com and read some of the content advisories, and figured it wouldn't be something for us to watch.

To be honest it is getting increasingly difficult to find movies or shows to watch that we can be comfortable with. We're not much for a lot of gore and/or violence, and when the language gets foul I get a little uncomfortable, especially when they take God's name in vain over and over. It's just not appealing to me to listen to that, and it would place my witness in a difficult spot to our kids and grands (and the kids in our youth group and music ministry).

As far as the nudity, while it used to not matter to me one bit, it does these days.

It's just the premise of watching immorality willingly that I can't get past anymore, and it may not be just the nudity but the sexual explicitness as well.

As a follower of Jesus, I try and gauge what I watch/read/take in through the filter of being His disciple. If it is bothersome in that respect, I would rather refrain from it.

That's respectable.  nowadays, you are hard pressed to find a kids show that doesn't contain all that.

I can imagine picking a movie for movie night with the family has got to be a little tricky.

Offline MichaelT

• Global Moderator
  • Freshman
Reply #6 → 09:27 AM - Apr 26, 2017
That's respectable.  nowadays, you are hard pressed to find a kids show that doesn't contain all that.

I can imagine picking a movie for movie night with the family has got to be a little tricky.

It is at that. Honestly when the grands are around we watch a lot of Disney movies...:)

Even when they're not around, we don't watch a lot of television anymore...catch the news and watch Wheel of Fortune, a few selective shows here and there on Netflix. And you're right, even when we're home alone, it's tricky to find good shows that are decent to watch these days.

« Last Edit: 09:29 AM - Apr 26, 2017 by MichaelT »

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #7 → 01:26 PM - Apr 26, 2017
It is at that. Honestly when the grands are around we watch a lot of Disney movies...:)

Even when they're not around, we don't watch a lot of television anymore...catch the news and watch Wheel of Fortune, a few selective shows here and there on Netflix. And you're right, even when we're home alone, it's tricky to find good shows that are decent to watch these days.
yeah, I hear you, when mine were little I had practically every disney / pixar movie memorized.  I'm embarrassed to say there were often times I looked around and realized I was the only one watching.  there I was, a grown man, watching disney movies by himself.   :idiot:

Offline Porkrinds

• Sophomore
Reply #8 → 09:29 AM - Apr 27, 2017
yeah, I hear you, when mine were little I had practically every disney / pixar movie memorized.  I'm embarrassed to say there were often times I looked around and realized I was the only one watching.  there I was, a grown man, watching disney movies by himself.   :idiot:

Same. And singing along with every song.

Offline MichaelT

• Global Moderator
  • Freshman
Reply #9 → 10:25 AM - Apr 27, 2017

hehe..nothing wrong with that...the bad part comes when you're driving to or from work, and you catch yourself singing the Disney songs in the car...by yourself.  ???

Offline PorkSoda

• Sophomore
  • Brains!
Reply #10 → 03:03 PM - Apr 27, 2017
hehe..nothing wrong with that...the bad part comes when you're driving to or from work, and you catch yourself singing the Disney songs in the car...by yourself.  ???
lol

Pages: [1]